Friday 27 September 2013

Galícia – Hórreo

Do you remember my blog about the hórreos inAsturias? I am fascinated with these granaries (and have been secretly planning to ship one over to London) and during my Camino (you can read about that here) I noticed that there are hórreos in Galicia, too, but they look completely differently. So different, that when I saw them the first time I didn’t even recognise them as hórreos!


They are not square shaped as the Asturian ones but have the shape of a long rectangle. There are short ones where only one section makes up the hórreo but I saw long ones, too, where the granary is three times as long! Most I’ve seen were double sized.





Most of the Galician hórreos have two crosses on top. I didn’t understand the meaning of this, why would you put crosses on the top of your granary?! I was told it’s because the Galician are superstitious folks and believe that the crosses will keep away the ‘evil’ from their grain.




This one was made in the same year I was born in!



If you ever have a chance to go to this part of Spain keep an eye out for these interesting little buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment