Saturday 9 November 2013

Via Ferrata in Ronda

We have been toying with the idea of doing a Via Ferrata in the UK for a long time but somehow it never happened. However when I was searching for things to do in Ronda I came across an adventure company who offered this activity as well among many others. The reviews were great and when I saw their photos with the Puerta Nueve behind I finally made the decision: this is the place where we would finally get to try a Via Ferrata.

Via Ferrata means ‘Iron Way’ and it is essentially a path on a mountain that consists of iron hooks attached to the stone. You are all harnessed in and there are so many safety measures that it’s practically impossible to harm yourself. The beginner path was relatively short and very easy. I have to admit that I was a bit scared of clambering up on the side of a mountain with nothing to hold me but a few carabineers. The thing that convinced me about the safety of the activity was that they offered it for children as young as 8 years old. I thought that if an eight year old can do it then is has to be very safe for adults.

We got in touch with a lovely guide called Laura and she told us all about what we need to do and watched over our reluctant steps up on the via ferrata. At first we were both nervous but she managed to put us at ease and soon we forgot all about our worries and started to enjoy the amazing scenery. She even took some photos for us with our camera. Here they are.




In retrospect I really can’t understand why we didn’t try this activity before. We love high places and sweeping views therefore it’s obvious that we would like the Via Ferrata, too. We found it very safe and after finishing we were already talking about doing our second, bit more demanding climb. I think I can say that we are fully converted and cannot wait to have another opportunity to climb!





I can whole-heartedly recommend this company to everybody. Apart from the Via Ferrata they offer skiing in the Sierra Nevada, cycling around national parks and many other activities as well and they cover a big part of Andalucía. Go and give them a try! Here is their website.


The above written is my own personal opinion. I do not take commission of any sorts for this writing. Unfortunately.:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment